Full-Time Adult Classes
9 Week Program
30 Hours of Training Per Week
Check out www.jrtitruckdriving.
Tractor-trailer driver training at James Rumsey Technical Institute is an intense 9-week training program. The major component of the class is hands-on learning. During the first 4 to 5 weeks, students gain experience on our unique driving range. Students then advance to road work for an additional 4 to 5 weeks of driving.
Class hours are 8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students work in the classroom approximately four hours a week. During class time, the student is given lessons on Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, size and weight requirements, hours of service requirements, cargo securement, inspection procedures, trip planning, CSA 2010, and employer relations.
Because of state support for this program, the cost (approximately $3,500) to students is low compared to programs of this type and quality. In addition, students completing this program have an excellent success rate in passing the state CDL performance exam.
Interviews for potential students are conducted on Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. at the Driving Range. No appointment is necessary. However, a certified copy of your driving record is required at the time of the interview. See website for more info.
**If you are not within commuting distance, inexpensive lodging is available at our motel/dorm.**
Opportunities in the Field
- Pre-trip CDL Inspection
- Gear shifting—Double Clutch Method
- Coupling Tractor to Trailer
- Cargo Securement, van and flatbed
- Straight Line Backing
- Range Driving—with strategic maneuvers through various obstructions
- Spotting (parking) Trailers
- Right Turns & off-track training
- 45˚ Backing & parallel parking
- Range Test
- Entry Level Driver Training
- Defensive Driving Skills and Techniques
- Hours of Service Regulations
- Weight Distribution and Scaling Procedures
- FMCSA Compliance Training
- CSA 2010 Regulations
- Trip Planning and Navigational Skills
- Visits by recruiters from our various trucking companies.
- Interstate Driving Techniques
- 4-Lane Highway
- 2-Lane Secondary
- City & Town Driving
- Congested Traffic Driving Skills
- CDL Preparation
- CDL Test
- Mountain Driving Procedures
- Night Driving Procedures
- Loaded Trailer
- Docking (ship/receive)
Length Of Program
9 Weeks, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. with one evening of driving (after dark). CDL test at discretion of State Examiner.
Tuition is paid on a semester basis. There are 2 semesters.
There is no refund for the registration fee. No refunds are issued after the 10th day of class. No refund is given for textbooks or tools.
Student Financial Aid
Vocational Rehabilitation, Workforce Development Board, TAA,
VA Rehab., and Pell Grant. Contact Coordinator of Student Services for information
Career Placement Services
The instructor provides tools on interviewing skills, resume writing. A full time Job Placement Coordinator provides assistance with job leads and placement. An articulation agreement is available with Blue Ridge Community and Technical College.