James Rumsey Technical Institute will be closed effective Monday, March 16 for an unknown amount of time. While this is a challenging situation for all students and families, it is the decision made to reduce social contact and the opportunities of spreading the COVID-19 virus, especially to those in our community who may be at higher risks than others. Our faculty and staff have been and continue to make plans to ensure continued students learning through distance learning. We appreciate everyone’s patience while we work through the best way to incorporate distance learning and school operations during this time. Administration and instructors will be available to students via email. As we receive information from the West Virginia Department of Education, we will make necessary adjustments to meet student needs. Thank you for your patience and support as we work together.
What is being impacted by this closure?
Classes canceled until further notice. This includes all high school, adult technical, and evening classes.
School Events – any activities scheduled to take place at the school between now and the beginning of April have been canceled or postponed.
Career Fair – was scheduled for April 1st – has been CANCELED. Sorry for the inconvenience. We’ll see you next year!
Orientations for our adult programs have been postponed. If you are planning to attend an orientation, please check your email for the orientation packet.
Competitions – some competitions have been canceled. We have not heard anything about the SkillsUSA State Conference yet. Contact your instructor to see if your competitions have been affected.
What do students and parents/guardians need to do?
- Stay healthy. Please avoid public events and social situations until we are given the green light to go back to normal operation.
- Stay in contact with your instructor(s). All instructor email addresses can be found on our directory page here.
- Login to iGradePlus. Your instructor and the school will use this to communicate with you.
- Keep up with assignments. All instructors are developing assignments to keep you learning during the closure. You are not on vacation! Contact them to find out how to receive and turn in your work.
- Watch the news. We don’t know when the closure will end. Be ready when it does.