Greetings James Rumsey Technical Institute High School Students, Adult Students, Guardians and Community Members,
Preventive and reactionary measures that we must collectively implement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic have led to changes in our school schedule and in our delivery of instruction. This is uncharted territory for all of us as we focus on solving challenges in new and innovative ways.
The following are things you should be aware of:
- Over the last few days, JRTI Faculty and Staff have been working diligently to prepare and implement curriculum to be delivered through distance learning. This change in how curriculum will be delivered is new to all of us and will take patience and perseverance from everyone involved to make it work. Instructors have been reaching out to students to identify each students’ internet capabilities, to communicate through which means the curriculum will be delivered and graded, and to clarify exactly how to communication will occur. All faculty and staff will be monitoring their email daily and can be reached via email. Please note that some email addresses and phone numbers that had been provided to us early in the year through student data forms are no longer current. Please take a moment to reach out to your instructors via email to confirm that they have correct contact information.
- Our student support instructors have been reaching out to students/guardians to provide guidance on the implementation of documented accommodations for students who have an IEP or 504 Plan. Please note that some email addresses and phone numbers that had been provided to us early in the year through student data forms are no longer current. Please take a moment to reach out to MaryAnne Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org (Berkeley County) or Toni Lawson at email@example.com (Jefferson County) to confirm that they have correct contact information.
- Packets and materials left by instructors for students to pick up can be picked up in the main office through the front foyer.
- All curricular and extra-curricular activities are cancelled during the duration of time that school is not in session. This includes co-ops, internships and clinical.
- Ceremonies and social activities will be cancelled during the duration of time that school is not in session. Those events will be reassessed after that time. This includes National Technical Honor Society Inductions, Lock-in, Prom, JRTI Yard Sale, Golf Tournament, etc.
- All state conferences/competitions being held before April 10th are cancelled. After that time, the situation will be reassessed by the state.
- Students who were scheduled to take the Electrician Journeyman’s license test will be rescheduled at a later date.
- Certification testing, NOCTI, Governor’s Workforce Credential, Portfolio reviews, TABE testing, TASC testing, industry specific certification exams, etc. will all be determined within the next 2-3 weeks. Right now we are in a holding pattern mode until we have a better understanding of time frames.
- The 6S of Coronavirus was posted on the Simulated Workplace FaceBook page:
- WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN.
- KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM YOUR FACE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
- KEEP A DISTANCE BETWEEN YOURSELF AND OTHERS.
- STAY AWAY FROM CROWDED PLACES.
- EAT HEALTHY.
- GET PROPER REST.
Please take care of yourselves and take measures to stay healthy and safe.
Donna Van Metre, Director