Full-Time Adult Classes
9 Week Program
30 Hours of Training Per Week
Check out www.jrtitruckdriving.
Tractor-trailer driver training at James Rumsey Technical Institute is an intense 9-week training program. The major component of the class is hands-on learning. During the first 4 to 5 weeks, students gain experience
Class hours are 8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. Monday through Friday. Students work in the
Because of state support for this program, the cost (approximately $3,500) to students is low compared to programs of this type and quality. In addition, students completing this program have an excellent success rate in passing the state CDL performance exam.
Interviews for potential students are conducted on Wednesdays at 2:00 p.m. at the Driving Range. No appointment is necessary. However, a certified copy of your driving record is required at the time of the interview. See website for more info.
If you are not within commuting distance, inexpensive lodging is available in our dorms.
- Pre-trip CDL Inspection
- Gear shifting—Double Clutch Method
- Coupling Tractor to Trailer
- Cargo Securement, van and flatbed
- Straight Line Backing
- Range Driving—with strategic maneuvers through various obstructions
- Spotting (parking) Trailers
- Right Turns & off-track training
- 45˚ Backing & parallel parking
- Range Test
- Entry Level Driver Training
- Defensive Driving Skills and Techniques
- Hours of Service Regulations
- Weight Distribution and Scaling Procedures
- FMCSA Compliance Training
- CSA 2010 Regulations
- Trip Planning and Navigational Skills
- Visits by recruiters from our various trucking companies.
- Interstate Driving Techniques
- 4-Lane Highway
- 2-Lane Secondary
- City & Town Driving
- Congested Traffic Driving Skills
- CDL Preparation
- CDL Test
- Mountain Driving Procedures
- Night Driving Procedures
- Loaded Trailer
- Docking (ship/receive)
Take exit 16W () off I-81 towards Hedgesville. In about 3 miles, JRTI will be on your right. Just past the school, turn right onto Cumbo Road. In about 1/3 mile, at the bottom of the hill, turn right through
Opportunities in the Field
Click here to donate to this program.