How Can We Help?
Effective July 16,
James Rumsey Technical Institute recognizes that certain clothing and footwear
In preparation for employment in the workforce, many programs require uniforms on some or all instructional days. Administration and instructors will provide information on this requirement as it applies to each program.
James Rumsey Technical Institute plans to disseminate information and implement this procedure through, but not limited
Exception for legitimate reasons such as a medical condition, religious practice, or for the specialized classes/activities will be considered and may be granted by the school administration on a case-by-case basis.
The school administrator reserves the right to approve or disapprove any items not addressed in this procedure.
Shirt must be worn in such a manner so as to:
- Cover the entire back and midriff area
- Cover the top of the shoulders with a minimum of 2” wide straps
- Not be see-through
- Fit modestly so that cleavage area is covered
- Cover undergarments
- Cover spaghetti straps or halters with a button-up shirt
- Not have cut-out areas
- Muscle shirts and tank tops are considered undergarments and must have a shirt over them or under them.
Shorts, skirts, skorts
- Cover the mid-thigh when sitting down and
- Be at least long enough to meet the tip of the students longest finger when the student is standing with arms down at their sides
- Slits must conform to the above
- Pants must be worn in such a manner as to:
- Cover undergarments at all times
- Not be excessively long so as to drag on the floor
- Not have cut, ripped or open areas above the knees
- Pajamas/boxers are not considered school attire.
Due to the nature of specific technical classes,
- Federal guidelines for free and reduced meals must be met in any school for uniform or non-uniform required dress activity
- Schools may have volunteer dress-up days, school color days, theme days or other dress days approved by the principal.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Shows must fit securely enough to the foot in order to allow safe movement.
- Trench coats are not to be worn during the school day and should be stored appropriately.
- Hats, bandannas, sweat-bands and other types of head coverings will not be worn in the building during the school day.
- Bedroom slippers are not permitted
Jewelry and Accessories
Any jewelry or accessory that can be used or perceived as a weapon is prohibited. Jewelry and accessories considered inappropriate but not limited to are:
Jewelry with spikes, including chokers, rings or bracelets
Chains that could cause injury or damage such as pocket chains, dog chains, etc
Sunglasses will not be worn in the building during the school day. Safety glasses will be required in all shop activities.
Student appearance and apparel must not show any reference to or inference of:
- Profanity or obscenities
- Drug, alcohol or tobacco related products
- Derogatory or ethnic symbols that cause a disruption
- Violence, blood, gang membership, guns, knives or weapons of any kind
- Suggestive or sexual messages
- Language or symbols that offend, demean or promote hatred towards any identifiable person or group
- Words or symbols deemed to be inappropriate for the school setting such as rude, disrespectful or discourteous expressions inconsistent with civil discourse and behavior
- Body piercing that causes disruption, interferes with the educational setting or presents a safety concern