The purpose of the evaluation is to set high standards of performance for teachers, ensure high-quality instruction focused on increasing student achievement, encourage continuous growth and improvement through personal reflection and goal setting, and serve as a tool in developing coaching and mentoring programs for teachers.
The evaluation procedure serves five major purposes:
- Promote professional growth and development that advances student learning in West Virginia schools;
- Define and promote high standards for professional personnel and their performance;
- Provide data that indicates the effectiveness of professional personnel as one basis for sound personnel decisions;
- Provide data for educator preparation programs to identify areas of need and guide program improvement; and
- Establish county and school evaluation data that serve as a basis for professional development that specifically targets the area(s) identified for professional growth.
All teachers participate in an annual summative evaluation conference. The teacher’s evaluator is responsible for monitoring performance and for preparing the evaluation.
Observations are to last the length of a lesson, but not less than 30 minutes. Evaluators record data using the observation form. Evaluators submit the observation form electronically to teachers prior to the conference. Evaluators schedule and conduct a conference with teachers within ten days of the observation. Teachers and evaluators exchange reflection, feedback, and identify strategies and resources. They likewise review any additional evidence presented at the conference. Evidence accumulated as part of the observation is considered in the determination of the summative performance rating.
The evaluator shares the evaluation with the teacher during a scheduled conference, and the educator accepts the evaluation rating with the option to append.
The teacher receives an electronic copy of the final evaluation and acknowledges receipt by finalizing the evaluation denoting that the evaluator has reviewed the evaluation with the teacher. The teacher may provide an addendum to the final evaluation.
West Virginia Professional Teaching Standards — Teachers are evaluated based on their performance within the following five standards:
Curriculum and Planning:
- The teacher demonstrates a deep and extensive knowledge of the subject matter.
- The teacher designs standards-driven instruction using state-approved curricula.
- The teacher uses a balanced assessment approach to guide student learning.
The Learner and the Learning Environment:
- The teacher understands and responds to the unique characteristics of learners.
- The teacher establishes and maintains a safe and appropriate learning environment.
- The teacher establishes and maintains a learner-centered culture.
- The teacher utilizes a variety of research-based instructional strategies.
- The teacher motivates and engages students in learning, problem solving and collaboration.
- The teacher adjusts instruction based on a variety of assessments and student responses.
Professional Responsibilities for Self-Renewal:
- The teacher engages in professional development for self-renewal that guides continuous examination and improvement of professional practice.
- The teacher actively engages in collaborative learning opportunities for self-renewal with colleagues.
Professional Responsibilities for School and Community:
- The teacher participates in school-wide collaborative efforts to support the success of all students.
- The teacher works with the community to support student learning and well-being.
- The teacher promotes practices and policies that improve school environment and student learning.
Professional Conduct — Teachers are evaluated based on clear criteria for those competencies and habits of mind without which professional teaching simply cannot occur. The standard addresses Adhering to Policy and Procedure, Professional Attendance, Adhering to Schedule, and Respect. An unsatisfactory rating in any of these areas prompts a standard performance rating of unsatisfactory.