How Can We Help?

< Back
You are here:

To ensure successful completion of the course of study, students must meet course requirements and complete all enrollment procedures before being admitted to class.

All adult students who enter James Rumsey Technical Institute must be assessed. With the exception of the truck driving program*, adult students must hold a high school diploma, HISET, TASC™, or GED® prior to admission into an occupational training program. Those who are required but do not possess a high school diploma, HISET, TASC™, or GED® are referred to Adult Basic Education and must earn a West Virginia High School Equivalency Diploma before enrolling.

A student must be qualified to study at the postsecondary level. A student qualifies if he/she:

  • has a high school diploma (can be from a foreign school if it is equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma);
  • has the recognized equivalent of a high school diploma, such as a GED, HiSET, TASC™ certificate or other state-sanctioned test or diploma-equivalency certificate;
  • has completed homeschooling at the secondary level as defined by state law;
  • has completed secondary school education in a homeschool set­ting which qualifies for an exemption from compulsory attendance requirements under state law, if state law does not require a home­schooled student to receive a credential for their education; or
  • has completed one of the ability-to-benefit (ATB) alternatives and is either currently enrolled in an eligible career pathway program or first enrolled in an eligible postsecondary program prior to July 1, 2012;

 Ability-to-Benefit (Admitting Students by Exception)

Public Law 112-74 amended HEA section 484(d) to eliminate Federal student aid eligibility for students without a “certificate of graduation from a school providing secondary education or the recognized equivalent of such a certificate.” The law makes an exception for students who have completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under State law.

Therefore, students who do not have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent (e.g., GED), or do not meet the home school requirements, and who first enroll in a program of study on or after July 1, 2012, will not be eligible to receive Title IV student aid. Students will qualify for Title IV student aid under one of the ability-to-benefit (ATB) alternatives if the student was enrolled in a Title IV eligible program prior to July 1, 2012. Those alternatives include the student passing an independently administered, approved ATB test or successfully completing at least six credit hours or 225 clock hours of postsecondary education.

 ***Students entering the truck driving program, which does not require a high school diploma or its equivalency, are not eligible and do not receive Title IV funding.***