Do you meet the prerequisites?
- Must be at least 21 years of age or 18 with two (2) years’ experience as a licensed driver. If under 21, you may only drive within your state of residence.
- Must have no physical impairments that would interfere with their ability to drive a CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicle) as outlined in the FMCSR (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations). Certain medications are also prohibited. You can call the WV DOT @ 304.347.5935 to determine medical eligibility.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license in West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, or Pennsylvania.
- Must not have more than six (6) points against your driving record. It is the responsibility of the applicant to furnish a certified original copy of his/her lifetime Department of Motor Vehicle record prior to final acceptance.
- Must not have been convicted of any of the following crimes:
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs within the past year.
- Transporting drugs.
- Leaving the scene of an accident during the year prior to enrollment.
- Using a vehicle to commit a serious crime.
- Be convicted of a felony offense during the year prior to enrollment.
Note: These are minimum CDL requirements. Company hiring policies may be more stringent. It is advisable to discuss personal situations with an instructor.
What to do next
- Fill out an application.
- Visit the program any Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. to complete the interview process. You can contact the instructor via email from the Truck Driving program’s page on our website.
- Pay the registration fee.
- If you do not possess a high school diploma, HISET, TASC™, or GED®: Take the TABE (basic skills test) to evaluate your academic (reading, math, etc.) skills. Call the Jill S. Weekley Learning Center to schedule your test. 304-754-9712
- Schedule and pass a Department of Transportation approved physical examination and drug screen. After passing the physical, a copy must be sent to Charleston along with a CDL application from the DMV. See Instructor’s site for complete details: jrtitruckdriving.wordpress.com.
Students will be permitted to begin after the tuition for the class has been paid or arrangements have been verified in writing from a sponsoring agency.